Plans for the Future¶
This documentation refers to an outdated SpongeAPI version and is no longer actively maintained. While the code examples still work for that API version, the policies, guidelines, and some links may have changed. Please refer to the latest version of the documentation for those.
There is a lot we would like to do. Specifically:
- If Mojang releases an official modding API, we are interested in building the Sponge API on top of Mojang’s modding API so Sponge plugins will work on both.
- We may support client-side Sponge mods that could perform a variety of functions related to the client.
There are also some things we have decided not to do:
- We will not support Bukkit plugins natively.
- We will not send Forge mods from the server to the client because of security concerns.
- We will not develop implementations using other programming languages, but we encourage others to do so. Our focus is on Java.